This is a very simple, yet delicious, recipe for peppermint bark. Matt LOVES chocolate and peppermint so of course I like to make him this at Christmas time! The last two times I have made it, the bark comes out a little bit thick, which isnt so bad in itself, just makes it kind of hard to break into small pieces in the end. Here is what you will need:
Large baking pan that is at least 1-2cm deep
2-3 ziplock bags
2 boxes (12 oz) of Bob’s Sweet Stripes candy canes (or the small individual mint version)
23 oz bag of chocolate chips (semisweet or milk chocolate, your preference)
24 oz bag of almond bark or white melting pieces
***use less chocolate and peppermints if using a small pan
1. Double or triple bag the peppermints in a ziploc bag and place on the dish cloth on a hard surface. Smash with a hammer until you get small pieces. Some large are okay but make sure most of them are small. You can use other mints or candy canes, I just like these the best because they are soft and melt in your mouth.
2. Melt the chocolate pieces in a double boiler or this way. In a glass bowl over boiling water.
3. Line your baking sheet with wax paper and pour the melted chocolate on top. Spread out for a even covering.
4. Place sheet in fridge or freezer so it can set. Or if it is freezing outside, put on your porch 🙂 It works faster!!
5. While chocolate is setting, melt the almond bark in the same way as the chocolate.
6. Once it is completely melted and smooth, add your crushed peppermints and mix well.
7. Pour the candy mixture on top of the set chocolate and spread out evenly.
8. Put back in freezer, fridge and let set until completely cooled
9. Break into small pieces (about 1-2 inches or so) with your hands. I usually used gloved hands if I have any or you can carefully cut it on a cutting board by using a sharp knife and rocking back and forth so that the layers dont split.
10. Let your husband lick the bowls and spatulas 🙂
11. Enjoy and try not to eat too much at once 🙂 !!